Hi to all wandering feet of the cyberworld! You have just added a little life to my blog. This is basically my journal of my travels and where I am currently located - Abu Dhabi. You will find my detailed journey of gaining my documents to finally landing myself inside this cold room my husband and I call home. Feel free to drop some of your pov's too.

Monday, August 9, 2010

4 a.m. Stories at Emirates Plaza

Thursday nights are always the busiest for all the working class here in Abu Dhabi. Plans are already set on how to waste away the weekend and Thursday night is the start of total R&R. My husband and I decided to spend it inside the movie house and give The Last Airbender a try. We both love Nickolodeon’s cartoon series, so, it would be pretty exciting to watch it come to life through 3D movie. Unfortunately, the movie was a total disaster, as expected. We arrived home hoping to hit the sack. Unfortunately, our housemate’s party is not yet near from being over. It all began with a harmless chitchat while the vodka was being passed around and filling everybody’s shot glass. Around 2 a.m. one member of the group was already dozing off. So we decided to call it a night. But, the dozer immediately roused when the group was already packing up, he still wants to visit the nearest bar. My husband and I were a bit wary to join in because we were so tired and we have been up since 4:30 am. We badly need the sleep. But since it is rude to say no to the birthday celebrant, we went along and visited this Manila Bay bar at Emirates plaza.

At 3 a.m. in the morning the place was still alive with so many Indians and Filipino outside the building. The disco bar was located at the penthouse level of the building. When we got there we were welcomed with a brawl. I was so scared I have to hide behind my husband for protection. Two guys were being drawn apart by the security and as expected the chaos was caused by a woman. What is new with a bar scene particularly when almost everyone is wasted already. Despite the near closing time, the fee has not dwindle, thus we tried to sweet talk the guy behind the counter and haggle for the price. After 30 minutes we got in for half the price from the original fee. The place was swinging with so much dancing and drinking. We tried to squeeze in with the crowd. It was fun for awhile then the dancing stopped for the live band. We get to catch our breath and look for a table. While the band was shrieking their guts out I started people watching.

For somebody who was sober the whole time (I don’t drink so shoot me), observing was the best option I have compared to inhaling all the nicotine in the place. The band was not that extraordinary. They could play and sing. That’s it. Nothing sets them apart from the rest of the other playing rock bands back home in the Philippines. Although, I must admit I was impressed when those girls dancing with the band and who were scantily clad would actually sing. I thought that’s all they were backdrop gyrating with the vocalists rhythms. I kind of felt sad a bit later, girls with so much talent such as they, should they really show a lot of their skin to earn a living? Is talent not enough? While the lady singer was bawling Beyonce’s Listen, I noticed the guy on the table right in front of me. His head was bowed and he was staring intently on his open palm. When the song hit the lines “Listen/ I am alone at a crossroads/I'm not at home in my own home/” He was already lip synching with it. As in like Beyonce wannbe is doing on the center stage. It was like actually watching a live music video. Then on the next table, kuya, was already dozing off. Who cares if he was already drooling. His drinking buddies don’t even care if he is already on the verge of falling off his chair. The other table near the wall, 3 guys who were obviously too drunk were already dancing while they were seated. Listen is supposed to be a slow song. They must have heard it differently on that side. And lastly, our table mate. Too high to even noticed us I guess, were already smooching like there’s no tomorrow. Awww. Sweet! Not! PDA is cute but an torrid saliva exchange is way out of my liking. It looked like they were doing an actual tonsillectomy right in front of me. Geez. Oh well, I guess love plus Corona can make you do these kind of things.

By 4 a.m. my eyes were already closing despite the wild noise inside the bar, my husband was already tipsy and quite incomprehensible. So we decided to call it a night. We said our goodbye and we trudge our way home. My first and last, mind you, night scene here in Abu Dhabi is definitely one for the books but will no longer be in my to do list in the next 50 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment