Hi to all wandering feet of the cyberworld! You have just added a little life to my blog. This is basically my journal of my travels and where I am currently located - Abu Dhabi. You will find my detailed journey of gaining my documents to finally landing myself inside this cold room my husband and I call home. Feel free to drop some of your pov's too.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Clean-Up Day at Electra St.


The other day, my housemates and I have decided to hit the saloon to have a long overdue underarm wax session.  Since it has long been discovered that shaving the underarm will only make it darker hence undesirable to look at and unclean.  Also, plucking every hair would take all day, that’s why waxing and threading was discovered.  If you are a masochist this is definitely your thing.  Honestly, I just discovered waxing (and I find no joys in it) just this year.   I got it as a gift from a friend during my bridal shower.  That was January this year (2010).  Anyway, my sister and I played with the kit and well it was ok.  Cleaning your under arm in one or two really harsh pulls could bring tears to your eyes. 
We went to this salon Fine Touch owned and operated by a kabayan.  When we arrive the places was jam packed. The queue for waxing was very long. And we thought we chose the day were most people would be too busy to think of waxing.  However, Ramadan is already near most women of Muslim culture are preparing to clean themselves for the Ramadan, thus the removal of hair – everywhere.  Arms, legs and every body part below the neck which has hair has to be waxed.  Uhmm..right.  Better set an appointment next time and not barge in without one. 
So we walked forlornly towards the bus stop station to wait for the bus, but, like a mirage in the desert a blinking sign took all of our attention as we crossed the Electra St., in bold red color SALE up to 70% off.  We sighed and crossed the street with our eyes focused on that little shop named Shobra.  When we were still living at the bed bug filled house we had TFC and Shobra was always advertised with a catch phrase “I’m always sure with Shobra.”  So my curiosity was piqued and we squeezed in to the small shop and checked what’s in store for the ready buyers.  Ho and behold, after a few minutes of checking out the products we have discovered that almost all of the prices are marked down up to 10 AED and less.  Whoa!  We started to pick every item we liked and shoved it into the laundry basket which the store provided to serious buyers.  I found wonderful gems, a toddler’s shoes for only 8 AED and 3 rubber sandals 7 AED each.  All in all I spent 28 AED for 4 items.  Good buy.  But wait!  My budget for waxing was just 10 AED. Eeek! I’d probably get a good bashing from my husband for this one.  So on the way home, I picked two beef shawarma from Sanine Restaurant to make my entrance more appealing and hopefully the 18 AED overspent would be overlooked.  Although I still feel unclean with all the hairs in my pits, my budget was almost wiped clean just because of Shobra –now I can say I’m always sure with Shobra to make my money go so easily away. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment